Tuesday 5 April 2005

Judicial Nominations Part II


I've been sent a couple good comments about my previous post that I'd like to address for everyone.

Anonymous said, "This looks like a poor survey. "Qalified Judge?" It's the senate's job to determine if they are qualified. You can get the responses you want, if you ask the questions the right way."

To that I would say...

The question is how many senators have to determine the qualification of nominees. And I do know that people can rig polls. The AARP has been doing it with social security.

Anonymous said, "Duty to vote? was an alternative response, "expected to block the nomination of a judge that they feel is not qualified?"

To that I would say...

Yes, they have a duty to vote. Let them vote. Why filibuster? If the Dems feel the judges aren't qualified, then vote against them. ELECTIONS MATTER!

Anonymous said, "Appy existing law? President Bush was looking for a judge to create law when he signed the Terri Shaivo bill."

To that I would say...

President was not looking for a judge to create law. He signed a law that allowed for the federal courts to look at the issue. When the federal court upheld the state court he let it be.

Anonymous said, "Politics out of the confirmation process? Well then you certainly couldn't have a politically elected president nominate or politically elected senators confirm judgeships. Or does this mean that you certainly wouldn't criticise Conrad for actions on judicial nominations because it's a nonpartisan action?

To that I would say...

President Bush is not acting as a partisan. He simply wants judges to use US law and US history and the US Constitution and the US Declaration of Independence to determine the constitutionality of laws. He doesn't want judges WHO ARE NOT ACCOUNTABLE to legislate from the bench, using laws from FOREIGN countries. Here is how screwed up it has gotten... (correct me if I'm wrong)... but we cannot execute minors for murder because they don't know what they're doing, but the courts have also ruled that minors are smart enough to get abortions without hearing any information if they don't want any... like I said correct me if I'm wrong. Also, the senate GOPers feel the same way. The only people who can make laws, according to our Constitution is the LEGISLATIVE branch... but then again... maybe the French constitution says something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment